Hello, my names Iona, I am a 15 year old in year 10 and my GCSE are starting soon. Hopefully I am going to pass all of them but before that I had to deal with the panic filled rush of finding a good work experience, luckily for me I knew I wanted to be an architect. It also helped that my friends mum knew an architect that would let me do the weeks work experience with them. This is a blog about one day in that week of me shadowing Lisa Rayes at Pride Road!
- 09:00 – I arrived slightly tired but ready for the first day on the job. It was super nerve raking taking the first steps and hopefully making a good introduction, but I didn’t have much time to think about it.
- 09:05 – By this time Lisa and I were in her car and driving to the first appointment in Wilmslow, which was a prospect. A prospect is a sit down talk about what the client is thinking about and trying to make a plan of how to accomplish it.
- 09:30 – We meet the lovely family of five who were looking to extend their kitchen to make it bigger and hopefully convert their garage into a hangout space because before it was only being used as storage space. They already had a conservatory, so it was recommended to just reinforce the roof and insulate it, so they didn’t have to have doors. This meant it was cheaper and they didn’t have to re-do their kitchen or the garage in the end because it was out of their budget
- 10:30 – We left after an hour and started are journey to Stoke-on-Trent to are second prospect of the day. She was a lovely lady who had a black and white cat called Blackberry.
- 11:00 – When we meet her, she told us she wanted a kitchen extension into her back garden, but the main problem was that her neighbours had a right of way in her back garden to put their bins out. The other option was to convert the loft into a third bedroom, however there was nowhere to put the stair. This meant it was unlikely to get a building development permit because of it not being fire safe.
- 12:00 – The hour-long session ended, and we made are way to the first concept design workshop, this is after the prospect and lasts 4 hour long and is mainly about drawing up plans.
- 17:00 – It was mainly shadowing up till know this was the first practical side I did, sitting outside and drawing an elevation of the house as well as cuddling the client’s dog, for an hour. The rest was spent with the client talking about what they want and then watching Lisa drawing up their ideas in a plan. A plan is a downwards view of the interior like the house has been split in half and your looking down at it.
- 17:30 – I was at home in my bed trying to relax and prepare for the next day of work experience.
This was a great opportunity for me because it opened me up to not only architecture but other jobs in the construction field like quantity surveying. It also gave me a better idea of a work like setting, which is an experience I could never get from school. From this I am ready to move forward on a clear path to get to my next steps in life, getting a job!